Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Second Amendment Right


Last December, I finally got around to getting my Concealed Handgun License in my home state of Texas.  It was something that I had thought about for a long time but had put off for a couple of reasons.  First, I didn’t want to spend 10 hours on a Saturday in a class.  Second, I worked at a university where possessing a weapon was against the law so I didn’t see much point.  In December I interviewed and was offered a job in an “interesting” part of town.  It was on the day I received this offer that I signed up for the CHL class (I later declined the offer, but I still got my CHL).

It is not my intent to discuss gun control or lobby for the NRA in today’s post.  I choose to do neither.  I am a staunch believer in the Constitution of the United States, however.  It gives us, as Americans, certain rights.  We can choose to exercise them or not.  You may choose to speak, and speak freely.  You may choose to stay quiet.  You may choose your religion.  You may choose to not have one at all.  It’s your choice.

Here is what the Second Amendment says:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Our founding fathers knew that in order to remain free, the people, its citizens, had to be armed.  This point was driven home to me a couple of years ago when I was taking some Master level classes.  I was working on a group project and it was almost Thanksgiving.  As the only American in the group, I was fielding many questions about the upcoming holiday.  It was during this question and answer period that I asked a group member of mine a question regarding her home country of India.  I said, “ We were both British Colonies.  Why do you think we gained our independence in the 1780s and you guys gained yours in the 1940s?”  Her response was simple, yet chilling: “You had firearms.”

I love being an American.  I feel very blessed to have been born here.  As many issues as we have right now, we still have people pouring over our boarders wanting to be an American or live the American Dream.  That tells me I am not alone in loving this country.  It tells me there is something great about this country.  I believe that “something” is the free and open society we live in.

In a free and open society, you will always have people who are a little unhinged.  You can point to any number of mass shootings we have had in this country and it is clear something isn’t right with the shooter.  I do not mind my state requiring me to take a class familiarizing me with gun laws and requiring me to qualify on the range.  We have to do something similar in order to drive a car.  I think it is good that we give citizens licenses to carry handguns who have taken the time to get licensed.  In order for the state to grant you a CHL, you have to be an upstanding citizen.  Criminals wouldn’t bother to go through this process.

Now that I have my CHL, I carry anywhere I’m legally able.  I love having my guns (that’s right, I carry more than one) on me at all times.  It gives me peace of mind that should someone try to attack me, I have a way to defend myself.  I hope I NEVER have to draw my handguns with intent to use them.  If I do, I pray the sight of my gun is enough to make the evildoer stop.  That is the purpose.  The only time I want to fire my handguns is on the gun range, when I am practicing.  If there are evildoers that are thinking of doing me harm, be warned, I’m deadly accurate and I will fire.  If the choice comes down to you or me, I’m going to pick me every time.

As I stated at the beginning of my blog, we Americans have rights that we can choose to exercise or not.  If you are uncomfortable with guns, that’s fine.  No one is forcing you to own one.  No one is forcing you to fire one.  However, do not try to control my rights to own guns.  I will respect your rights if you respect mine.  Keep in mind the criminal element does not give a flip about laws or “gun control”.  Trying to limit what law abiding citizens own or carry does not limit what the criminal element has.

While you ponder today’s thoughts, I’ll be out on the range.  Down and down range, y’all.

Until Tomorrow - Melissa
 Taurus PT24/7 G2 9mm

No comments:

Post a Comment