Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

How to Fix Rust on Antique Metal

Dear Reader, I typically like to have a cute and catchy title to my blogs. I just can't figure out a cute way to say "How to Fix Rusty Metal".  Maybe I should have called up Mater (from Pixar "Cars" fame).  He might have come up with something cute. He may have just told me to Git R Done.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I picked up an antique item that had some rust on it.  Figuring it could be fixed, I asked the human encyclopedia of antiques, my friend Karen, what to do.  She told me I needed some Naval Jelly.  I asked where I could find Naval Jelly and she told me any hardware store should have it.  I stopped in to my closest Lowes and found some.  In today's blog, I am going to share with you how to use Naval Jelly





Here we have a miniature pot belly stove with a little rust on it.  If possible, I like to use  or in this case reuse) Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers bowls for crafting. It's a great way to protect my counters and a great way to reuse this disposable item (tip of the hat to my college brother Chris who lives on Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers and saves the bowls for me).

Apply the Naval Jelly to rusted areas.  In the case of this piece, it had light rust all over.  I like to apply the Naval Jelly with an old toothbrush that has been demoted from teeth cleaning to general use cleaning (after sanitation in the dishwasher of course).


Get a nice coat of the Navel Jelly all over the piece.  Depending on the rust you may need to let it set for 10-20 minutes.

When the time is up, rinse off and allow you piece to air dry.  Depending on the amount of rust on your piece, you may need to repeat treatments until all the rust is gone.

Dear Reader, you may be saying "That's great Melissa, but what do I do to protect my piece once I get all the rust off?"  That is a fantastic question, which I will cover tomorrow (I can't give all my good tips away in one day, sheesh).

Until Tomorrow - Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Soooo cool!!! We are hoping to go antiquing (is that spelled right) for the FIRST time next Saturday afternoon. I don't know what to expect, or find, but this may come in handy!

    ReplyDelete