Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

What is Steampunk?

As you know dear reader, I LOVE antiques.  I completely geek out over them.  About a year ago I "discovered" a very cool genre called Steampunk.  I felt that Steampunk was a great tie in for all of my antiques.  As I post on Facebook about Steampunk this or Steampunk that, I have started to get the question, "What is Steampunk".  Enough of my friends have asked that I have decided to do a blog post about this genre.

To start, I think we'll start with a definition from dictionary.com Steampunk (Noun) a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy featuring advanced machines and other technology based on steam power of the 19th century and taking place in a recognizable historical period or a fantasy world.

I don't know about your, but I don't think words do Steampunk justice.  I think Steampunk is best understood when you see it.
Steampunk outfits. Notice the goggles and use of brass findings.
Another example of Steampunk dress.  Notice the stylized gun.
Steampunk Laptop
Steampunk Stereo
Steampunk USB
Steampunk inspired cat art
Another example of Steampunk dress
Steampunk R2D2
Steampunk jewelry by yours truly
Steampunk inspired art by yours truly
  As you can see there are many many examples of Steampunk.  If you would like to know more, just go to Google and put in Steampunk.  You will come up with a number of examples and links.  Should you want to read some Steampunk fiction I recommend the Parasol Protectorate Series by Gail Carriger.

I hope today's blog post has helped to answer your question "What is Steampunk".  Maybe it has peaked your interest and you will want to add a little steam to your life.

Until Tomorrow - Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment