Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Superhero

A couple of weeks ago, I challenged my readers to become the change they want to see ( Catch up here).  Last Sunday, I introduced my first Sunday Superhero (Julia's story here).  I am always on the look out for people who are doing good things in their community and aren't getting the pat on the back or the high five they deserve (that is a hint to send me nominations!).

Earlier this week I saw a post about 90's TV shows.  There were multiple comments about how "wholesome" TV was in the 90's and how they wished shows like that were still on.  I agree that there is a lot of trash on TV these days.  I wonder, how do we best CHANGE the situation? Do we complain on internet message boards or do we turn the dial and not watch?

I see a lot of complaining about our society, but I see very little action.  It made me think of a quote by Edmund Burke "All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."  I don't know about you, but I don't want evil to win.  So the question is, how do we compel good men into action?

First, we must give good men the courage to stand against evil.  It is never easy to the right thing when it is unpopular.  Even in extreme circumstances, it is within the human soul to find courage.  Consider the picture below

History does not record who this brave soul is.  It doesn't record what happened to him because of his defiance.  It would have been much easier for this gentlemen to salute than to stand with his arms crossed.  This man had the courage to stand against one of the greatest evils this world has seen.  It is for this courage, I am naming him this weeks Sunday Superhero. 

When the time comes, will you have the courage to stand against evil?  Or will you go with crowd and do nothing?  Remember, change begins with you. You have to become the change you want to see.

Until Tomorrow - Melissa 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that picture gives me the chills, in a good way! What a brave man.

    It makes me want to be braver about taking a stand against mindlessness in this society. There are better things in the world than celebrity gossip and reality TV, and so many people don't even realize it! And mindlessness makes it much easier for evil to thrive.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! People need to wake up and see what is going on around them. I'm glad this post has inspired you! Do you know of a superhero? Sunday is coming and I will need one to blog about!

    ReplyDelete