Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

And The Masses Rejoice…


In case you haven’t heard, President Obama announced today that he is for same sex marriage.  And social media exploded.

What this blog is not about is the debate of same sex marriage.  I don’t get political on my blog.  In all the rejoicing, what I didn’t see was anyone questioning motives.  I’m cynical, I’m sarcastic, and I agree with Dr. House (everyone lies).  I don’t trust politicians, Right, Left or Center.  What I don’t understand is how our politicians (liars and cheats) continue to get elected.

When I saw the news of the announcement, here is what I thought:  “Huh.  It’s an election year.  The President’s numbers aren’t the slam dunk they were in 2008.  Admittedly, he got ‘shellacked’ in 2010.  If this was such a conviction of his, why didn’t he announce this when he was inaugurated?  Or at any point in 2009, 2010, or 2011?  Well, they weren’t election years.  But it’s 2012, and he’s up for reelection.  What does that mean?  It’s time for people to hear what they want to hear, until November 7th, when we go back to business as usual.”

It has been my experience that, short of epiphanies, people’s viewpoints don’t radically change, even over time (unless you are running for an office, in which case you flip flop).  I’m in my mid 30’s.  The people in high school that were liberal, well, they’re still liberal.  The people that were conservative are still conservative.  Based on this anecdotal evidence, I’m going to run with this assumption (I know it’s not terribly scientific, but the government hasn’t given me big bucks to study it.  Also, I’m a jeweler; it’s more of an art.  Additionally, my BS is in Sociology, which my husband likes to point out is not a real science).

Here’s what I’d LOVE to see this election year.  I’d love to see the voters hold politicians’ feet to the fire.  Make them accountable. Question them and then question them some more.  The only place I know where you can continue to screw up and keep your job is the government.  Let the politicians know they work for us, the citizen of the United State, not corporations.   I’d love to see journalists DO THEIR JOB and investigate stories, dig into them and report on them, not editorialize.  You want to be a PR guy, go be a PR guy.  Don’t dress yourself up as a journalist.  You only disgrace yourself (wait, I need to modify my ‘you screw up and still keep your job’ list…).

And that, Dear Reader, is my random thought for today.

Until Tomorrow - Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment