Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Lessons Learned At the Movies


Today, Dear Reader, I went to the movies.  This is a rare occurrence for a number of reasons.  One – I am cheap.  I would normally prefer to wait for a movie to come out on DVD to watch it.  Two – and this will come as no surprise to most, I have a very low tolerance for masses of people.

However, The Avengers came out yesterday.  I am a nerd, so this movie justified the spending of currency and dealing with a crowd.  As an aside, I would like to say that The Avengers was epic and you must go see it.  I do not want to spoil the movie magic for you, so I will say nothing further.

I did notice a few things about my fellow man today.  I wouldn’t say that I’ve learned anything “new” per se, but had my prior suspicions reinforced.  The first thing I noticed is humans, on the whole, are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.  If you go see a movie on the second day it’s out, odds are you’re a fan.  That being said, Marvel comic films have had additional scenes at the end of the credits for quite some time.  In fact, as of late it is not uncommon for films to have additional scenes after the credits roll.  Today, when the movie ended, I would say 1/3-1/2 of the theater got up and left.  Has previous experience not taught you there might be more movie coming?

The second thing I noticed was the amount of trash lying around the theater as I left.  Now I realize theater employees come through after the screening and clean up.  Just because they do this does not justify people acting like pigs.  You do not need to toss your popcorn all over the floor and leave trash everywhere.  No wonder TLC has no problem finding people to film for their hoarder show.  If this is how you act in public, I would hate to see your house. 

The third thing I noticed is what should be common courtesy must now be pointed out multiple times.  There were at least two instances before the movie started that the theater ran “commercials” for people to silence their cell phone and not to talk or text on their cell phone during the show.  These warnings did not stop my neighbor’s cell phone from ringing during the film, however.

Well, there you have it, my lessons learned from going to the movies.  I knew there was a reason I typically stay home.

Until Tomorrow - Melissa

1 comment:

  1. ;) This is why I LOVE our movie theater, no matter how popular the movie, we can be assured that there will be no more than 30 or so people and that we will have lots of room and quiet around us. That is the beauty of living in an area that is just starting to build up...by the time Hailey is old enough to go to the movies with her buds it will be just like your experience was so I'll have to warn her. Glad you enjoyed the movie though!

    ReplyDelete