Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nature vs. Nurture

If you have spent any time at all in school, you have probably run across the theory of nature vs. nurture (you can familiarize yourself with the theory here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_vs_nurture ).  I was thinking of this today as I was conversing with one of my cats, Mr. Holstein.  Now, before you stop reading this blog and write me off as a total loon, trust me when I tell you Mr. Holstein likes to talk.  When he has something to say, he will walk up to you, look you right in the eye, and meow.  You then can begin to ask him "questions" and he will meow in response.  He is quite a vocal cat and admittedly, has a very interesting personality. (you can view some of Mr. Holstein's antics here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQaocsFLoYY  .  Please note when my husband says "That's Holstein", he meows.  See?  I'm not making this stuff up.)

Now, where was I?  Oh right, Nature vs. Nurture.  Most pet parents will tell you how special their animals are.  While I would be the first to tell you how special my little furry bundles of joy are, I will also admit they are a little odd.  Holstein talks.  Holstein also has a girlfriend; she just happens to be a German Shepard.  Gus (Holstein's brother) has a large tongue, so big in fact, you will catch him with it hanging out of his mouth a lot of the time.  He is also one of the most loving cats I ever met.  He is so into his humans, he sneaks into our bedrooms any chance he can get to sleep with us.  The fuzzy twins (Anna and Nina) are cousins of Holstein and Gus and also have very gregarious personalities.  Then there is Yoda.  We have had her for 11 years, so she is our grandma cat.  She despises the other cats with a passion, but loves the humans.  She doesn't mind the dogs at all.  Oh, and most of the time you can find her on top of the Fios box (cable).  The Fios has never been stolen on her watch, so we call her the Guardian of the Fios, or GOF for short.

So the question is, do I have odd animals because they were born this way?  Or is there something about living with me and my husband that makes them a little off?  I had cats growing up; I wouldn't say they had remarkable personalities.  We got 4/5ths of our cats from my in-law's farm in Missouri.  Is there something in the water up there that makes for very personable cats?

Dear reader, I don't have an answer for you.  I don't know if my cats' personalities are because they are Missouri Mutant Cats (not to be confused with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) or if somehow living with me makes them off.  It was just something I was pondering today and since this blog is about my random thoughts, I thought I would share with you.  Til Tomorrow - Melissa

Nina, Gus, Anna and Holstein (L-R) taking in some fresh air

Gus and Holstein ready for Thanksgiving.  They volunteered to sit at the "kitty table"
 Gus with his "famous" tongue

No comments:

Post a Comment