Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Week of Thanksgiving - Monday

Later this week, our nation will be sitting down to tables laden with turkey and all the trimming goodies.  We will stuff ourselves silly and then watch football in a tryptophan haze.  Some of us will begin our strategic plan for overindulgent gluttony of consumerism that is Black Friday.   We will stand in lines and then climb over our fellow man to obtain giant screen televisions or Tickle Me Elmos (or whatever the "it" toy is this year).

In my blog this week, I want to focus on things I am thankful for.  I think that no matter what situation you find yourself in, whether it be abundance or wanting, you have things in your life you can be thankful for.

Today I am thankful for my family traditions.  Growing up, I had no idea how very blessed I was.  I thought my family was normal.  I thought everyone had the life I did.  I had both my parents, not step parents, step siblings or half siblings.  I would be in high school before I realized how abnormal this is.

Before my father got a job in New York and moved the family half way across the country, holidays would be spent with cousins, aunts, uncles, and BOTH set of grandparents.  My parents dated in high school, getting married a few months after my mother graduated.  Since they were from the same town, my grandparents houses were only about a mile apart.  Holidays were split between the sides.  Christmas Eve and the Mizell's, Christmas day at the Creamer's.  Spending holidays with my family was really great.  It makes me wish there was a time machine, so I could go back to the early 80's and enjoy these family holidays once more.

I would love to experience Grandma Creamer's oyster stew again (I can make it, but it just isn't the same).  I would love to hear Grandpa Riley read the Christmas story from the family bible again with all the family gathered around listening.  I would love to sit at Grandma Mizell's dinning room table and listen to grandpa Riley say grace.  I would love to steal the mattress from the crib in the pink room and proceed to take turns riding it down the stairs with my cousins until the adults made us stop.

There is no time machine.  So I can't go back to enjoy these traditions once more.  However, I am thankful, so very thankful I was able to experience them in the first place.  My family is one of many things that I am thankful for.  In this Thanksgiving week, what are you thankful for?  I'd love for you to leave a comment and share with us.

I hope you have a wonderful day.  Until tomorrow....Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment