Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank you Veterans!

It's 11/11/11.  It's Veterans Day.  For some people, this might mean they don't have to go to work or school.  No mail will be delivered today, some banks might be closed.  Do you see Veterans Day as something that disrupts normal service, or do you understand what this observance is for?

Today was originally know as Armistice Day.  It was on this day in 1918 when major hostilities were ended for World War I (known at the time as the Great War).  They were ended at the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month. World War I was a nasty bloody war that ended with millions of young men killed or wounded.  Later, this day of remembrance was expanded to include all of our military veterans.

I think most of us take for granted the freedoms we enjoy in this country.  We don't think about how we can say what we want to say, even disagree with our government without fear a reprisal.  We may go to the place of worship of our choosing.  I could go through all of rights and freedoms, but you get my point.  These freedoms were bought with the blood and sacrifice of our armed personnel, from the Revolutionary War to the most recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I am so grateful that these everyday citizens heeded the call to serve our country.  In my opinion, this turned our everyday citizens into heroes.

Today also makes me think about three heroes who are no longer in my life.  Three out of four of my grandparents served in the military during World War II.  They were members of the greatest generation.  Grandpa Mizell served in the Army.  Grandma Mizell was a Navy WAVE.  Grandpa Creamer served in the Navy as well.  I am so proud to be the grandchild of these brave men and woman.

I have many members of my family, past and present who have served our country.  I'm not going to list them all, but I do want to say thank you!  You've done our family proud.

Thank you to all our veterans.  We are the country we are because of your service.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment