Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Week of Thanksgiving - Wednesday

It's the day before Thanksgiving.  Like most women in America (and maybe some men), I am starting to cook what can be done up ahead of tomorrow's feast.  Time to make the pies, the cranberry sauce, salads that can be prepared now.

As I prepare to feed an army (well, I always make enough stuff for an army, it's only my husband and my brother...that's another story), I think of our Armed Forces.  There are brave men and women all over the world right now serving our country, protecting our freedoms.  These citizens volunteer for this duty, which makes them even more extraordinary.  They volunteer to be separated from their friends and family knowing that there is a possibility they might not come home.  Their protection is a very precious gift, one I am most thankful for.  They do their job, they call it duty, so I can do trivial things like make jewelry and write a blog.

Today I also think of their families.  Wives, husbands, children, mothers, fathers, all separated from the ones they love.  They sacrifice time with their families so we can enjoy our freedom.  I can not imagine what it must be like for a wife or mother to be separated right now from her husband or son.  The holidays are a time when you most want your family around (well, most of us do.  Maybe you have Clark Griswold in your family, in which case I understand...).  I am so thankful service members' families are willing to share their family with us, in defense of our nation.

As you sit down to the table tomorrow with your family and friends, please take a moment and think of our brave men and women overseas and at home.  Some are in very inhospitable areas.  If you are so inclined, whisper a prayer for their safe return home.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a turkey to stuff.  Til Tomorrow...Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment